“possibly the next big band of the current retro rock wave”
“a middle finger to the ‘get a haircut and get a real job’ generation”
“Let the trip begin”
Psychedelia from Copenhagen
The Sonic Dawn is a trip – a psychedelic mixture of styles, from jazzy sitar pop to heavy acid rock. Expect melodic songs with a 60s flavor, laced with dreamy vocals and delivered with an explosive stage presence.
Since their acclaimed album debut in 2015, The Sonic Dawn has been on several European tours. A highlight of 2016 was opening the notorious Freak Valley Festival, sharing the stage with Graveyard and Dead Meadow. This year they can be experienced all over Europe again, confirmed for some of the best venues and festivals, such as Liverpool Psych Fest.
Into the Long Night is the trio’s most ambitious album yet. Written by day and recorded at night during a month of complete isolation by The North Sea, it is as light and gracious as it is dark and mysterious. The journey has just begun.
“As of Lately” by The Sonic Dawn (2017)
Taken from the new album, Into the Long Night. Watch more videos on The Sonic Dawn's YouTube channel.
European concert dates, fall 2017
- 16/11/2017 UK Rendlesham, The Trip Out.
- 22/09/2017 UK Liverpool, Liverpool Psych Fest 2017.
- 06/10/2017 DE Jena, Kulturbahnhof (Magnificent Music Festival 2017)**.
- 07/10/2017 DE Berlin, Roadrunner's Club (Magnificent Music Festival 2017)**.
- 13/10/2017 DK Copenhagen, KPH Volume (Copenhagen Psych Fest 2017).
- 09/11/2017 DE Hamburg, Hafenbahnhof.
- 10/11/2017 DE Halle/Saale, Hühnermanhattan.
- 11/11/2017 FR Strasbourg, tba.
- 12/11/2017 DE Karlsruhe, Walhalla (PsyKa Underground Experience).
- 14/11/2017 ES Santander, Rock Beer The New.
- 15/11/2017 ES Madrid, tba.
- 16/11/2017 ES Seville, SALA X.
- 17/11/2017 PT Figueira da Foz, DRAC – Direito de Resposta Associação Cultural.
- 18/11/2017 PT Porto, Woodstock 69.
- 21/11/2017 IT Parma, tba.
- 22/11/2017 IT Turin, Blah Blah.
- 23/11/2017 IT Cantù/Como, All'UnaeTrentacinqueCirca.
- 24/11/2017 IT Cecina, FUZZ'n'ROLL Night.
- 25/11/2017 IT Savona, Raindogs House.
- 26/11/2017 DE Frankfurt am Main, Dreikönigskeller.
(** These shows in Jena and Berlin will feature ERRKA PETERSSON on organ/keys).
Sign up for the GOOD NEWS to know about concerts in your area.
“Into the Long Night” (Heavy Psych Sounds, 2017)
“Denmark is entering the world market for psychedelic drugs.”
“as if The Beatles had reinvented themselves as a blues band in their psychedelic phase”
“well set to be the record of the year 2017”
Into the Long Night is the second album by The Sonic Dawn from Denmark. Just a few seconds into this album, you will realize that you are in for a mind altering experience.
To achieve the dramatic changes of mood and feeling that The Sonic Dawn excel at, they mix a wide range of styles, from jazzy sitar pop to heavy acid rock. A pleasant-sounding analog production makes the album easy to approach, not to water it down, but rather to pull the unsuspecting listener into the deep.
The songs were written by day and recorded at night, during a month of complete isolation in a remote house by The North Sea. The tracklist can be interpreted as a trip through the night, into a new dawn. Close your eyes and see it: Go through the hill country with its long yellow grass, to the beach where the setting sun dances on the cold waves. Slide into the darkest hours, alone with your thoughts and doubts. Suddenly come the first blue rays, separating past from present, before a golden dawn is born and everything takes its right shape, perhaps for the very first time.
Into the Long Night was made in collaboration with some of Scandinavia’s most regarded personnel. It features Swedish Hammond legend Erik ‘Errka’ Petersson on keys and Morten Grønvad on vibraphone/perc., which adds to its soundtrack-like qualities. Mixed in The Village Recording with jazz producer Thomas Vang (Oscar Peterson, Randy Brecker etc.). Mastered in Svenska Grammofonstudion with Hans Olsson Brookes (Graveyard, Blues Pills, José González etc.).
Nine tracks, 36 minutes and 22 seconds. Released by Heavy Psych Sounds on April 21st, 2017.
Available on LP/CD and all digital platforms, including Spotify, iTunes, Deezer and Amazon.
The Mini Docu
A film by Bolette Søs
Mini documentary by the Danish filmmaker Bolette Søs, about The Sonic Dawn's efforts to create their own psychedelic sound. The film captures a day of recording sessions for Into the Long Night, during the band's one-month hiatus in a remote house by The North Sea.
Danish with English subtitles.
Previous studio releases
Click play on each release to listen. “Down the Line” and the 1st pressing of “Perception” (yellow vinyl) are completely sold out, but few copies of the 2nd pressing (blue vinyl) remain. Shop records and merch on Bandcamp.
The Good News
Stuff you really should know
Merch discounts, tour dates in your area, presales, party invitations... Be the first one to know by signing up to the GOOD NEWS. Expect 4-6 emails yearly. Good stuff only!
Book The Sonic Dawn for a concert/festival
- Booking agent: Äxl Schulze, Magnificent Music
- Booking agent: Johnny Bager, Bager Booking
- Scandinavia and non-European territories
- No representation: Contact the band directly